About Eunpyeong-gu
Welcome to Eunpyeong-gu of Seoul


Eunpyeong-gu is part of Seoul where groups of clans dating back to the Stone Age resided. The region was called Wiryeseong in the Baekje Dynasty, Shinju in the Silla Dynasty, and Hansanju in the Unified Silla Dynasty. Then, the region was renamed as Hanju in the 7th year of King Gyeongdeok’s reign (757). Hanyang-gun was established in Seoul, which Hanyang, another name of Seoul, originates from.

During the Goryeo Dynasty, Hanyang-gun changed its name to Yangju, and during the 21st year of King Munjong’s reign (1087), it was promoted to Namgyeong—which consists of three sogyeong (small cities) along with Seogyeong (Pyeongyang) and Donggyeong (Gyeongju)—thus becoming a geographically important location. Hanyang-gun was renamed again as Hanyang-bu during the 34th year of King Chungnyeol (1308).

In the 3rd-year-reign of Taejo of Joseon (1394) in the Joseon Dynasty, Hanyang-bu became the capital and changed its name to Hansung-bu. The areas of Seoul were divided into new administrative units of five bu and 52 bang. The five bu, which is equivalent to today’s gu, were located in the east, the west, the south, the north, and the central regions, and Eunpyeong-gu belonged to Yeoneun-bang and Sangpyeong-bang in the north. These are the names where Eunpyeonggu’s name originates from.

After Korea was annexed by the Japanese Empire, Hansung-bu became Gyeongseong-bu, and new administrative units of five bu, 35 bang (inside the wall), and eight myeon (outside the wall) were implemented (pursuant to the Gyeonggi-do Decree No.3 announced on April 1, 1911). According to the Joseon Governor-General Decree No. 111, the locations and jurisdictions of each do and the names of bu and gun were decided in December 1913, which took effect from April in the following year. In the areas of Yeoneun-bang and Sangpyeong-bang, Eunpyeong-myeon was set up (with jurisdiction over 36 dong and ri) according to the Gyeonggi-do Decree No. 3.

At this time, the jurisdiction of Gyeongseong-bu was considerably reduced, and Eunpyeong-myeon was separated from Seoul and became part of Goyang-gun of Gyeonggi-do. It was not until August 13, 1949 that Eunpyeong-myeon became part of Seoul again (the Presidential Decree No. 159).

On February 14, 1936, the areas of Gyeongseong-bu were expanded and reorganized according to the Joseon Governor-General Decree No. 8. At this time, five ri in Eunpyeong-myeon (Hongjeoe-ri, Hongjenae-ri, Buam-ri, Hongji-ri and Sinyeong-ri) was set up, along with the Seobu Local Office in July 1940.

In June 1943, the Seobu Local Office was closed in accordance with the Gyeongseong-bu Decree No. 163, which initiated the gu system. Yongsan Local Office was converted into Yongsan-gu, Dongbu Local Office into Dongdaemungu and Seongdong-gu, Seobu Local Office into Seodaemun-gu, and Yeongdeungpo Local Office into Yeongdeungpo-gu. Within the Four Major Gates of Korea, Jongno-gu and Jung-gu were added, followed by the implementation of a “seven gu” system. In October, part of Yeonhui-myeon was incorporated into Gyeongseong-bu, and parts of Seodaemun-gu and Yongsan-gu were separated. In this month, Mapo-gu was newly set up, making it to a total of 8 gu.

After Korea’s independence from the Japanese government, Gyeongseong-bu was designated as Seoul in September 1946, being separated from the jurisdiction of Gyeonggi-do, and it was raised to the status of Seoul Special City (the U.S. Army Military Government in Korea (USAMGIK) Ordinance No. 106). In August 1949, 11 ri of Eunpyeong-myeon of Goyang-gun and seven ri of Yeonhui-myeon became part of Seodaemun-gu. The Eunpyeong Local Office that has jurisdiction over these areas was set up (the Presidential Decree No. 161 announced on August 13, 1949), making the areas of Eunpyeong-gu become part of Seoul again.

On March 12, 1973, Gupabal-ri, Jingwannae-ri, and Jingwanoe-ri of Sindo-myeon (Goyang-gun, Gyeonggi-do) were integrated with Seoul under the Act No. 2569, gaining jurisdiction over today’s Eunpyeong-gu. On October 1, 1979, these areas were separated from Seodaemun-gu, and the Local Office was closed in accordance with the Presidential Decree No. 9630. This marks the beginning of today’s Eunpyeong-gu (15 dong: Nokbeon, Bulgwang 1 and 2, Galhyeon, Gusan, Daejo, Eungam 1 to 3, Yeokchon, Sinsa, Jeungsan, Susaek, Jingwannae, and Jingwanoe). As of September 1, 1989, Eunpyeong-gu had 20 administrative units of dong and 13 statutory units of dong. On August 13, 2007, Gupabaldong, Jingwannae-dong, and Jingwanoe-dong (three statutory units of dong) were incorporated into one dong, which is now Jingwan-dong. On June 2, 2008, Bulgwang 1/2/3-dong, Eungam 2/3/4-dong, and Yeokchon 1/2-dong (administrative dong) were incorporated into Bulgwang 1/2-dong, Eungam 2/3-dong and Yeokchon-dong, and this led to the establishment of 11 statutory units of dong and 16 administrative units of dong.

담당자 정보

  • 담당부서
  • 전화번호
  • 최종수정일 2022.01.23